Saturday, December 6, 2008

Falcon Frenzy Wrestling Invitational

Today Syd was wrestling in the Falcon Frenzy Invitational Tournament at West Henderson High School. There were 27 High Schools at this Tournament and this was Syd's first of this year at Erwin High School. Last year Syd wrestled in the weight class of 135 and he was always trying to lose weight to make the weigh ins. This year he's bigger and he got to wrestle in the weight class of 152 today. Syd did great his first match and pinned his opponent in 11 seconds. He was so proud and we were so excited for him. His next match was forfeited by his opponent not long after the match started. The ref learned the guy didn't have a mouth piece. Whatever the reason....Syd would take the win. YEAH!!! This means his last and final match would be for 1st place. Syd seemed relatively calm but I was really nervous. I tried not to show it and while we waited for ever for the match, I was constantly trying to see if I could guess who his opponent would be. You know...just to see if my son could take him...:) Well I couldn't figure out who it would be until right at the time for Syd to go to the mat. My heart was beating so hard in my chest. This was ridiculous...Why was "I" so nervous? Well if you've ever been to a wrestling meet you would know why. It is hard to see another person throw your child around and squeeze him in places and against the mat when I know they are hurting him. BUT....my son did the throwing around. Syd pinned him in the 2nd round and that's all that matters. He was soooo happy, I was sooo happy, Mike was sooo happy and Payton was just proud to call him his brother. He took first place at this tournament in his weight class. This was a tremendous accomplishment for Syd. He wrestled last year and he won some matches but didn't come close to winning the tournament. I've posted some pictures. Some are not that great because this is a new camera and I don't know how to work it yet. The last picture is with Syd and his medal but he is so exhausted that's why he isn't smiling but rest assured he's smiling on the inside.


2 comments:

the ugly truth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim said...

The Ugly Truth has felt the urge to TRY and dimish my happiness for Syd. How sad and what a poor sport. If you're going to leave a ugly comment at least have the guts to post who you are or else stay off my blog. I feel sorry for people who have to be nasty to people to make themselves feel better. Syd did an awesome job and he deserves a congratulations!!