Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Better Me

The end of 2008 is drawing near and I have been contemplating all the changes I intend to make within my life this coming year. In the past I've never liked New Year Resolutions because frankly I've never been able to keep them. New Year Resolutions mean committing to something. Here are some of the top Resolutions I found online that people tend to "commit" to year after year.

Losing Weight, Gaining Weight, Getting out of debt, Saving money, Getting a better job, Getting fit, Eating right, Getting a better Education, Drinking less Alcohol, Quiting Smoking, Reducing Stress, Taking a Trip, Volunteering more, Being less Grumpy and becoming more independent.

I guess it shouldn't amaze me that no where in this list does it mention Religion....Spirituality.

This is where my commitment comes into play this year.

I accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was 9 years old. I remember the day clearly but yet I can't remember things I did yesterday. I was raised in a Christian home and my father was a Minister. I was at church every time the doors were open. Through the years I've fallen short and attended church but yet not really felt a part of anything. I find myself not talking to God as much as I should but only calling to him when I am in need. This year I want to rededicate my life to Christ and gain a more personal relationship with him. I want to praise him in good times, which comes so easy but also rejoice with him when times are bad and yes the really bad. I want to become a part of something and become involved in my church and serve. I don't know how or where but through prayer I'm sure he will lead me where he wants me to be. I want my family and friends to see Christ in me and I am asking God to help me become the servant he wants me to be and the wife that Mike needs. On one of the blogs I read it was asked "Could we have endured life like Mary, the mother of Jesus had to do? How blessed Mary was to have raised Jesus for 33 years but she endured such hardships along the way. Here is a quote from Lynette Krafts blog. "Mary…the mother of Jesus was blessed among women. She was a mere, sinful human being – not perfect – just human like you and me. Yet, God chose her to fulfill a special purpose.Luke 1:38 “And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.” When Mary said “behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word”, I think she was saying, Lord, I’m submissive to your will. I’m willing to do your work. I’m blessed to be chosen. Do you feel that way with what God has called you to in your life? Are you the Lord’s willing handmaid?Mary was chosen to carry a child before marriage. Mary was chosen to travel during the last days of her pregnancy, (and every woman who’s been pregnant knows it’s not the most comfortable time to journey anywhere) - and she didn’t fly United, she rode on a donkey! Mary was chosen to give birth in a stable. Mary was chosen to endure the heartache of watching her son be beaten and tortured. Mary was chosen to grieve the loss of her 33 year old son. Mary was chosen to endure hard things… yet… Mary was “blessed among women.”?Mary said, “My soul doth magnify the Lord and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed…” Do you consider Mary blessed? Would you have wanted to endure the life she was called to live.Mary suffered, but Mary was indeed blessed".

In the days after reading Lynettes post, I was still pondering this question. I have felt at times God has given me too much to bear but I know the Bible says he doesn't give us more than we can handle. I know God will be with us this year and will help me accomplish all the things he wants me to accomplish to give him Glory. What more could anyone ask for?

This year I will be 48 years young. Wow is that really real? I guess this is one of those life changes I hear people talking about. It didn't happen at 30 or 40 or 45 but now at 48 I'm determined to make some changes. This is nothing new nor nothing I haven't known all along. However, I am a sinner and a lazy Christian. God knows my heart and knows what I'm asking now can I give him what he ask of me? Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you' declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". I am willing to become the person God intended me to be. Are you? Let us all work together to help each other and give support and encouragement for all the new things to come this year. Let us pray for one another and become Christ like in 2009.

Jesus is ALIVE today and he performs miracles daily. We should be shouting it from the rooftop!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could read yours! :) Love it!

Happy New Year
Kelly

Unknown said...

Kim,
Well, I think re-dedication to the Lord is just about the best New Year's Resolution. It seems that no matter how hard we try, we always need to try harder. A constant re-dedicating is certainly beneficial. :)

I continue to consider the phrase, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Be it unto me according to thy word." I want to be submissive as Mary was. I want to be willing in the next year and all of my years to do what the Lord asks me to do...and with a attitude of joy.

Thank you for sharing your New Year's thoughts. :)
Love,
Lynnette

Abigail Kraft said...

Kim,
This blog post was inspiring and very much encouraged me to do the same in my life this year (and every year). My relationship with Christ is the single most important thing in my life--everything else pales in comparison to it and without it, life would be meaningless.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts for the new year. Have a wonderful 2009! I'll be praying that Christians as a unit will become stronger and more on fire for our Savior in the new year and every year in the future. :)

In His arms,
--Abigail

Julie said...

My resolution is to work on my relationship with Christ also. It's easy to lose focus and be a "lazy Christian." I think it is great to re-dedicate your life and it is something to do every year.

Happy New Year & May God bless!

Laura McCann said...

I resemble several of your descriptions and it does me good to know that I am not alone in my struggle to be more 'on fire" for the Lord.
I wish for you a blessed new year and that you are able to achieve your goals.

In His love,
Laura

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Thank you for sharing your heart so candidly. Praying God's strength, grace, and guidance for you as you re-commit to following Him with all your heart. Blessings in the coming year.

In His Grace,
Kelly Gerken

Mindy said...

This is a wonderful New Year's Resolution! I am in this same place and madly praying for guidance. It's so hard to interpret what the Lord is telling us sometimes, isn't it?

Lovely blog!