Wednesday, January 21, 2009

To join in Wednesdays’ Walk, click on the button to the right for more information.

I wanted to share with you the birth stories of my children. I have 3 boys ages 25, 15 and 8. People ask me all the time if it was easier or harder having them so far apart but honestly that’s all I’ve known so I couldn’t really answer that. I have been married twice so my first two are from my first marriage. Each birth was so exciting and it was hard to decide which story to tell first so I just decided to start with the oldest.

I was in the Navy and had only been married about 10 months when I suspected I was pregnant. I was stationed in Keflavik, Iceland and expecting my first child and being away from my family was not a happy time for me. My plans were to become a Nurse and I was going to San Diego for my training but my husband and baby would not be able to come with me because of the housing situation and I wasn’t a high enough rank to get housing at that time. So my decision to leave the Navy was a easy one because I definitely wasn’t leaving my newborn to go across the country to go to school. So I came home when I was 7 months pregnant. I then set out to find a doctor. Since I didn’t have insurance any longer, I found a doctor that would let me and the baby come home from the hospital on the same day if there were no complications. I didn’t have a clue about childbirth but I figured if other women did it I surely could do it too without any problems. Although when my mother would say “I’m just glad it’s you and not me” I should have questioned her more about that. I wondered why she would say something like that but dummy me didn’t question her. I figured it would be uncomfortable but ……yes I said uncomfortable…I never dreamed what it was really like. I should have thought about it a lot though because Layne didn’t seem to want to enter the world too soon. Every week going to the doctor to tell me nothing was happening was so frustrating. Finally when I had given up trying to predict when he was coming it happened. On June 12th , 1983 around 10pm as I lay watching Television anticipating sleep, Layne decided it was time. I felt a sharp kick and a small gush and knew something just happened but didn’t really know what. We called my mom for some advice and she said that Yes that sounds like what has happened. Well if I had waited a few seconds I would have known for sure myself that that is exactly what happened. All I could think about was that my baby was most likely going to be born on the “13th”. As I tried to move around and get things ready (why didn’t I have this ready anyway?? It’s not like I didn’t have the time) that’s when things started happening and happening all too fast for me too. I called the doctor and he said I could go to the hospital or wait awhile if I wanted. He figured I would have awhile before I delivered since this was my first child. Well I did wait for awhile, I waited for 2 hours until my pains became unbearable. We left for the hospital around midnight. So we get there and the nurses are taking their time trying to check me in all the while I think I’m dying and once again my pants are soaked. Finally we get to the Birthing Room and I’m thinking they should know it’s been over 2 hours now since my water broke. They’ve left us by ourselves at this point and I tell my husband (at that time) to go tell them. He pats my arm and says “It’ll be o’k, I’ll tell them the next time they come in”. Why do men do this? He got it real quick from that point on. I didn’t have a Epidural or any other drugs, not that I’m so courageous but because we didn’t have any insurance and I was thinking of what it would cost us. Well everything continued to move very fast and on June 13th at 2:04am Jeffrey Layne was born. In just 4 hours I had given birth to the most beautiful little boy I had ever seen and what joy he has brought to my life. Through the years Layne has been the little boy who could always make friends with anyone and always pulled for the underdog. He’s gentle, compassionate and always makes me proud. This year will be a milestone in his life because on October 17, 2009, Layne and Christina are getting married and after 3 boys I’m finally going to have a girl in our family. I’m gaining a daughter! I’m so excited and look forward to seeing what God has planned for their lives.

Next Wednesday I’ll share how Sydney became a part of our lives.



6 comments:

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Enjoyed reading... I read books before I had our first baby, but still you don't know until you experience it. :)

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!! :)

Unknown said...

That was a fun birth story. I don't think there's any way to really prepare for a first baby. They all come so different and how can you understand the horrible pain - I mean how can anybody understand that unless they've felt it! Ugh! But, alas, when baby is born - all is well. :)

How fun to get your first daughter through marriage. :) You'll have such fun.

Thanks for sharing today.
Lynnette

Abigail Kraft said...

I've always had the impression that first births are really slow--that's the way it was with my momma--however lately I've been reading story after story that states the opposite. Interesting...but then I guess every birth is different. :)

How awesome that you'll be getting a daughter! I wish your son and his bride-to-be all the best! :)

In His arms,
--Abigail

Kristin said...

Oh, wouldn't it be great if men could experience the pain of childbirth! LOL I love birth stories....I can't wait to hear next week's story.
It sounds like you will be a great mother-in-law....congrats!

L said...

Birth stories always make me smile!I wish your son and his bride-to-be much love and happiness in the years ahead and I look forward to reading about Sydney's grand entrance next week!
lynette x

Kimberly Pitman said...

I, too, have children spread apart in years. My three girls were 14, 11, and 7 when their baby brother was born.

Like you, I'm not sure if it is easier or harder raising them in this way. Someone said having kids when you are slightly older (I was 35 when the last was born) will either keep you young or age you faster. The jury is still out on that. :)

Blessings!