Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To join in Wednesdays' Walk, click on the button on the right of the page for more info.




This is a short story about the birth of my second son, Sydney Cooper. But I’m going to back up a little bit and start the story nearly a year before his birth. In 1992, I had a seizure. It all began one morning as I was getting ready for work and I noticed my foot was doing something weird. Just a funny feeling but I brushed it off as nothing and went on to work. By lunchtime my foot and calf wanted to do its own thing. When I would take a step, my leg from my knee down felt like it wouldn’t straighten back out. I still wasn’t that nervous or scared at this point. Then as the next day started, my whole right leg was jerking like it was having a muscle spasm non stop. Even during my sleep it would make this jerking movement. I made an appointment with my doctor.
After his exam, my doctor wanted to refer me to a Neurologist and within a week I was seeing Dr. Ledbetter. My first visit was on a Friday and he ran some test and said he wanted me to have a MRI on the following Monday. He evidently notice something out of the ordinary because he started me on a seizure medication that day. On Sunday, however, I woke up early and went straight into a seizure. They never found out the reason and I never had another one but because of abnormal EEG’s I was on medication for 10 years. Because of this they didn’t want me to have anymore children and my husband had a vasectomy. I had always wanted more children and was saddened that that wasn’t going to ever happen, however God had something else in store. Obviously the Vasectomy didn’t work. The doctor said 1 in 500 doesn’t so YEAH I was that “1”.
My pregnancy was pretty normal just as it was with Layne. I was a little concerned because I was on seizure medication during this pregnancy but I had a really good doctor who was very reassuring and gave me all the possibilites up front. She also allowed for many Ultrasounds and even one in 3D to check for facial deformities which were a possible side effect of my medication. Everything was checking out fine. About 3 weeks before my due date, my check up showed that my amniotic fluid was low. So she puts me out of work and suggests rest as this can help build fluid back up. After the first week I was checked again and the fluid was still the same and since I was another week closer she said if I wanted to we could have a baby that day. I was so anxious for Syd to get here so naturally I said YES.
My doctor meets me at the hospital at 5:00 pm and they break my water. In a very short period of time my contractions start. I was actually planning on having a epidural for this one but when it came time to where I was asking to get it they couldn’t find the anesthesiologist to give it to me and by the time he comes in I’m in way too much pain. He tries to give it to me anyway and on the 3rd time he gets it right. (Unfortunately it didn’t take right away but I was feeling no pain after I had already given birth) As soon as I lay back again I’m informed I can start pushing so there was no way the epidural was working at that point. Sydney was born with just a few short pushes at 7:56pm (3 hours) and when everyone was busy taking care of him and finishing up with me I was feeling fine. He was the smallest of my boys at 6lbs 8oz and was only 18 ½ inches long but he was beautiful with a head full of black hair and just perfect. I can’t believe that same little boy is now a Sophmore in High School and is getting ready to drive. Where does the time go?
Next week will be the incredible birth of Payton and if you’ve thought my first two births were fast just wait until you hear how quick this little guy entered the world.

Proud Big Brother Layne and Sydney at 5 weeks







Sydney

























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you - where does time go!?

What a scary time it must have been for you when you had the seizure. Life is so full of those types of things. But God is faithful to encourage us through them and give us hope.

And praise God the vasectomy didn't work! :) He had Sydney all planned and nothing would stop him from putting him in your womb. ;)

Thanks for sharing today.
I enjoyed reading your story.
Lynnette

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Yes, I ask that question all the time and my oldest is only 10 yet!

I'm sure you were very surprised when you discovered you were pregnant!! That is neat!

Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

That's amazing about you getting pregnant. God definitely doesn't let anything get in the way of his plans! How is it that time flies by so fast when you get older? My oldest is only 8, but it seems like just yesterday that she was an infant! I can't wait to hear next week's story!

Julie said...

Another kid after the vasectomy?! Wow. I've had 2 kids whose births were fast, if I have a 3rd it will probably be born at home or worse...in the car!

I'm anxious to hear about the next one!

Abigail Kraft said...

Wow...what a great story! God works in the most amazing ways. :)

Thanks for sharing!
--Abigail